Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Latest project



This is what I currently have on my "bench", a Husqvarna riding mower.  It was not running until I worked it over.  I took it out for a test drive and the engine kept  running at too high an RPM which could damage the engine.  I quickly turned it off and started my research.

It turned out that the issue was a stripped governor gear located in the crankcase of the engine.  In the midst of all of those wonderfully machined metal gears, crankshaft, connecting rod and piston was this little "plastic" gear (small beige reat, top photo) that controls the engine speed, much like the cruise control on your car.  In the middle photo, sitting in the remaining oil, is the governor regulator pin that once sat between the gear and the governor lever.  Fortunately, this small piece of metal did not get tangled up in the gears.

I have the parts, will install in the morning, reseal up the crankcase, remount on the tractor and, according to my calculations, it will run as designed.
Tomorrow will be an interesting day.
Stay cool, if possible.
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment