Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Another generator, that last windstorm has brought them out



A customer brought this generator in to me to work on.  He said initially that the engine ran but surged. He replaced some of its carburetor internals but, when he put it back together, the float bowl wouldn't seal so he used some gasket goop.  When I got it, when you turned the fuel on, it came out of the air filter.

A note on using gasket goop.  This is probably the same thing I would have done a few years ago.  The hard part was scrubbing the inside of the bowl (middle picture) and the carburetor (bottom picture) with alcohol to clean up the sealant that, apparently, softened and ran when exposed to gasoline.

Once cleaned, I installed a new needle, seat and bowl gasket.  While it was here, I changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, installed an new spark plug and did a complete set of diagnostics.  I now starts first pull and purrs like a kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment