Friday, September 11, 2015

Another project for a customer




A customer called me, said that when they turn the on gas valve for their generator, gas comes out of the carburetor.  I picked it up and brought it to my shop.  I opened the valve and gas did come out of the area of the carb.  I pulled this apart and found that the float need valve was corroded to the housing preventing it from shutting off the gas flow to the float bowl.

Due to the  accumulation of water that frequently results from the alcohol in regular gasoline, the float bowl was both rusted and corroded.  (see photos).  Unfortunately, this is one of those machines shipped in from the far east so getting parts, even a parts list is a challenge.

I have the carb in my new ultrasonic cleaner and have cleaned the rust and corrosion from the float bowl.  Normally, in a case like this, you would replace the float bowl, but could not find the parts anywhere.  I have sent an inquiry to my best supplier, Tulsa Engine Warehouse requesting they research the parts.  I will get this back up and running!!

This is a good reminder to use only E-0 (no alcohol) gas in your small engines to assure the longest, trouble free service from them.
Back to the bench!

No comments:

Post a Comment